Tuesday 17 November 2015

Sujebi (수제비) - The Korean Hand-Torn Noodle Soup.


I'm not sure how many Korean places in Kuching offers this dish on their menu. I would imagine it's not exactly a popular dish for both customers and the restaurant. Simply because it is not that well known among Kuchingites and also because it takes quite some work and a slightly longer preparation time. I know my boss used to grumble whenever she sees Sujebi on the order sheet and sometimes she would pull one of us into the kitchen and help her make it.

Sujebi is basically a kind of noodle soup but not with noodles that you would expect. The noodles are made out of a simple dough made with just flour and water which is then kneaded and then rolled flat. It is then hand-torn into little strips or flakes  to be boiled in water or broth. This results in a nice hearty filling soup. So far in Kuching, I've only had Sujebi at my former workplace. And just like so many other dishes on the menu that I haven't had in quite a while, I decided to go back and get a taste down memory lane.


At this particular Korean shop in Kuching, the sujebi comes in quite a huge bowl, enough to be shared by 2 or 3. But being the pure glutton that I am, it's all for me! :D
The way people eat sujebi differs. Some just eat it like that straight from the bowl, some scoop it into smaller bowls for portioning and to cool it while some just take the noodles first, leaving the soup behind, waiting to be absorbed by fresh hot steamed rice later on.


There is also, another version of sujebi which is kimchi sujebi. As the name suggests, this version of sujebi is cooked together with kimchi. I haven't tried it myself but I assume it would be a spicy version as it has chilli flakes added to it. But either way I'll come around to trying it one of these days. If you don't want kimchi cooked with your sujebi but you still want a little kick of spice, take advantage of the side dishes (반찬) that comes together free with every Korean meal! Get some of the noodles on the spoon and just top it off with kimchi or whatever you want :)


Sujebi = RM10
1 can drink = RM2
Total = RM12.
And 12 bucks for a filling Korean meal is actually legit good. Keeping in mind that with RM12 you can't get much in other Korean restaurants in Kuching. The kimchi sujebi version costs an extra RM2, tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment